Boonville Historic District
He’d still find the center of town where he left it, just with nicer architecture
Long before Boonville became a haven for snowmobilers – it’s known as “The Snow Capital of the East” – other forms of transportation made it thrive since it was founded by Gerrit Boon in 1795: first a turnpike, then a plank road, canal, railroad and state highway. The National Register of Historic Places recognized the community’s heritage in 1979, when it designated this historic district. More than 70 buildings are part of the district, including the Hulbert House, a limestone inn built in the Classical Revival style, and the first village school, a Federal-style building erected in 1802.
At a glance
- Two buildings are separately listed on the National Register: The Erwin Library and Pratt House and the U.S. Post Office.
- District includes parts of North Post and West streets and West Schuyler Street.
- A park with an octagonal bandstand and commemorative cannon once kept watering troughs and fire-fighting reservoirs